Sunday 16 June 2013

The Keepers: Archer by Rae Rivers








Don’t ever look for me again, Archer.’
His mouth curled into a smile. ‘Game on.’

Central Park. Sienna Beckham is out jogging in the autumn sun, feeling almost ordinary. Trouble is, she'll never be. She's on the run from her life as a powerful witch and the three Keepers blood-bound to protect her.

Evil is hot on Sienna's tail and Archer Bennett is searching for her, desperate to find her before they do. As one of her Keepers, he will fight to his death to defend her.

Sienna must return and defend her hometown, Rapid Falls – but she has to face the past and master her powers. And as forbidden feelings blossom between Sienna and Archer, will their love survive the ultimate war?

The Keepers: three strong and handsome warrior brothers, born to protect.



I absolutely loved the sound of this book so was really excited when HarperImpulse allowed me to have a preview. It is the first in a trilogy by Rae Rivers and I have never come across a story quite like this before, so was intrigued to know what this first paranormal romance story from HarperImpulse would be like.

I love books that get straight into the action. No dillydallying, no long descriptions of the scenery around them- just straight to the point and it is clear what is going on within the first couple of pages. And this is exactly what this book was like.

Sienna is a Beckham witch and the darker world are after her. Luckily for Sienna she has three Keepers to look out for her, one of them named Archer. But Sienna left Rapid Falls and her Keepers behind two years ago and I really wanted to know what had caused her to run away. She had cast a spell that meant that her Keepers could not find her. But luckily for Sienna Archer does finds her.

Within the first chapter Sienna is attacked and Archer comes to her rescue. The reader immediately knows that Archer is in love with her. Having searched for her for two years he has finally found her and has to resist the urge to hold her against him and never let go. But Sienna doesn't want him back in her life, she doesn't want anything to do with her powers, but she can't escape the fact that she is a witch with a destiny, and Archer and her other two Keepers are bound to look after her at all costs.

This novel had me gripped the whole way through, so much kept happening and it was not at all predictable. I literally could not put it down and so much so that I was not much company on Father's Day (whoops!).

The relationship between Archer and Sienna is extremely hot! They are forbidden to fall in love, and I really wanted to know why. I could really feel the frustration between the two of them. I desperately wanted them to be together. There is clearly a history between them and the romance that begins to rekindle is so believable and I loved the scenes with Archer and Sienna.

Also the descriptions of Archer and his brothers Ethan and Declan made me wish they were real people- extremely handsome and strong, protective men- what I personally like in a man (LOL!). I loved how protective they all were over Sienna and I could really relate to them when Sienna wasn't being cooperative and putting them in tricky situations, when all they wanted to do was help her. They all feel protective over her in different ways and it goes deeper than them being bound to protect her.

Sienna's character is also brilliant- strong and feisty with her fiery red hair. She was headstrong and would't let anyone tell her what to do, but I liked that there was still a vulnerable side to her that she tried to keep hidden, as this made her more real. It was great as she developed as a character throughout the book.

I think the only criticism I have of this book is that there was a point where an action packed chapter ended with the characters discussing what they needed to do and then the next chapter jumped to them already having done what they had discussed. It left me with a couple of questions as to how they had managed it. But at the same time it still kept the story moving at its fast pace.

So much more happens in this book, but I really can't say much more as I'm worried I will give it away, so I will have to leave it there.

This was a fantastic new story on witches, keepers and magic and I would definitely recommend as it's a real page turner! I really cannot wait for the next in the trilogy as the ending has left me craving as to what will happen next.

The Keepers: Archer is out now Amazon UK

9/10

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura. Thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Archer and I appreciate your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I had such a giggle at your Father's Day comment! Thanks for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rae you are very welcome! cannot wait for the next instalment!! Haha yeah, the book was more interesting lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous you got to read it early. I cannot wait for Thursday after chapter 1. Fantastic review Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aimee :)I will also definitely be checking out your book Sinfully Summer :)

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS